Plantain Chips are crunchy Nigerian snacks made with either ripe or unripe plantains. When making it with ripe plantains, ensure that the plantains are just beginning to ripe and are still hard. This is so that they will be crunchy when done.
- Ripe/Unripe Plantain
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash and peel the plantains.
- Thinly slice the plantains into a bowl of water. It is advisable to use a vegetable slicer to slice the plantains. The water helps prevent the plantain slices from changing colour.
- When done, add salt to taste and stir.
- Transfer the plantain slices to a sieve to drain the water.
- Heat some vegetable oil till hot.
- Put the slices of plantain into the oil in such a way that they are not stuck together. See the video for how I do this.
- Stir till the plantains are bright yellow and crunchy. If using ripe plantains, they will be deep yellow.
- Transfer the plantain slices to a sieve lined with paper towels.
- Store your plantain chips in airtight containers when they have cooled down completely and munch away whenever you want.
- Have fun!
Plantain Chips made with unripe plantains are bright yellow while those made with ripe plantains are deep yellow in colour.