- Flour – 500g
- Dry baking yeast – 2tsp
- Fresh or Yeast – 10g
- Sugar – 100g
- Nutmeg – 1/2tsp
- water (luke warm) – 2cups or 300ml
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
If you are using fresh yeast, dissolve the yeast with a little warm water & set aside
- Pour the flour into a big bowl, add the ground nutmeg, sugar, salt & dry yeast & mix rgeda
- Add the water bit by bit and mix thoroughly puff is usually mixed by hand but you can also mix with a flat wooden spoon
- Mix for about 10 minutes or until there are no lumps in it, until the batter is smooth but it should not be watery
- Cover the bowl (air tight) with a clean dry cloth or aluminum foil and leave the batter to rise for about 45 to 50 mins . NB The know if the batter is ready for frying you will notice bubbles on it and is little thicker & stretchy.
- Now do an oil test. This is done by dropping a little of the batter into the oil. The oil is ready when the Puff – Puff rises to the top.
- Scoop the batter into your palm and drop into the oil by pressing the batter between your thumb and your fore finger.
- Fry until brown. Then transfer into a sieve lined with paper.