“Onions are excellent sources of vitamin C, sulphuric compounds, flavonoids and phytochemicals.”
Phytochemicals, or phytonutrients, are naturally occurring compounds in fruits and vegetables that are able to react with the human body to trigger healthy reactions. Flavonoids are responsible for pigments in many fruits and vegetables. Studies have shown that they help reduce the risk of Parkinson’s disease Cardiovascular disease and stroke.
Onions are healthy whether they are raw or cooked, though raw onions have higher levels of organic sulfur compounds that provide many benefits, according to the BBC. A 2005 study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that there is a high concentration of flavonoids in the outer layers of onion flesh, so you’ll want to be careful to remove as little of the edible part of the onion as possible when peeling it.
1) Raw onion is known to lower the production of LDL (bad cholesterol) and keep your heart healthy.
2) The vitamin C (which remains intact while they are in the raw form) along with the phytochemicals present in onions helps build immunity.
3) Quercetin, a powerful compound found in onions, has been suggested to play a role in preventing cancer, especially stomach and colorectal cancers.
4) Chromium, also present in this root vegetable, may help regulate blood sugar.
5) A mixture of onion juice and honey (which helps make it less pungent) is said to be effective as a cure for fever, common cold, allergies, etc.
6) Keep a small piece of onion under the nostrils and inhale, to stop or slow down a nose bleed.
7) Folate in onions also helps with depression and aids sleep and appetite.
8) The vitamin C helps formation of collagen that is responsible for skin and hair health.
9) Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of onions have been proven. One study also suggested that freshly chopped raw onions have these anti-bacterial properties, not chopped onion which has been allowed to sit for a day or two.
10) Chewing raw onions improve our oral health (though your breath may stink). They help eliminate bacteria that can lead to tooth decay and gum issues.